These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:14 pm 
Hello,
I'm hoping to set up a site through you soon, but just wanted to clarify something. Please excuse me if its already been answered in this Forum, but I couldn't find it easily.

I have some domain names registered through another supplier and I would like to point just one domain at a site to be hosted by Nethosted. I would however like to keep the management of all the domains together at the other supplier.

My other supplier's site gives 3 ways of doing it - web forwarding, A or CNAME record changes, or Nameserver changes. They mention that using Nameservers means that any Domain admin will have to be done through yourselves.

I presume this is possible, what would I need to do to make this work effectively? Help!!!
Thanks
Aid
[/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:23 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Aid,

These methods could all be used, generally we would recommend a nameserver change as the best method because if there are ever any issues that was as long as it's pointing at our nameservers we should be able to resolve them for you, which may not be possible if you are using other DNS methods.

When signing up you will get the nameservers in your welcome email that you should use at your domain registrar, so you can just enter these and your site will begin working on our service.

Regards,

Darryl

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:45 pm 
Thanks Darryl,

Really fast response!! presumably any renewals could still be managed through the other party to keep everything together?

I'll set something up with you later this week.
Thanks a lot
Aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:52 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Aid,

Yes that's correct, renewals would still be processed by your current domain provider for you when due.

Welcome (in advance!) to NetHosted!

Thanks,

Andrew

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:40 pm 
Community Liason

I think I've used all three methods in the past and they all work with Nethosted.

Web forwarding relies on two servers both working for your site to work so potentially more downtime. It can also look a bit unprofessional to a user depending on how it is set up.

Changing A records etc is fine if you get it right. You need to know what you are doing though.

Using nethosted nameservers though is just plain easy and the way I do everything now.

Last edited by MaddogBattie on Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:01 pm 
Thanks Darryl, Andrew and Maddog
Really useful. Name servers it is. With you later in the Week
Cheers Aid

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]