These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:12 pm 
Hi,
I'm just about to sign up on the basic plan to transfer my .co.uk email to Nethosted.
Currently, the domain is registered through Fasthosts but run via Google MX records (which is why I want to change).
Our email is relatively small fry in the grand scheme of things but I cannot afford to mess the transfer up!. I access both addresses via IMAP using either Opera or Thunderbird and will want to continue that with Nethosted.

Presumably, I set up a Nethosted account and change the MX records to yours?
At that point, I will have email on Google servers that I need transferred to Nethosted. Will IMAP transfer all email in irrespective of the folder its in and the fact that a lot of it is in the Archive folder?

Thanks in advance.

Andy

ps: as you can probably guess from my username, I returned to live in Caversham for few years mid 90's so know the town quite well. Your living room must get awefully hot with all those servers :lol2:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:17 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Andy,

You can indeed sign up and have your NetHosted plan provisioned then move your MX records over to us although our account will default to using our mailservers unless you specifically change this so you could just remove your current MX record and simply update the nameservers. You'd ideally want to download all of your e-mails from GMail using your e-mail client and then once your account with us is set up, move them into the appropriate folders on our server (these can all be set up within your chosen e-mail client prior to restoring them, however to make sure the move is seamless).

Luckily for us (and our clients!) all of our servers are located in a lovely, cool, temperature controlled datacenter so no issues with the heating there :up:

If there's anything else we can help with, do let us know!
Bret

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:42 pm 
NetHosted Customer

Thank you.

I have been told by someone who has transferred their domain from one host to another that they were not able to use their existing email addresses in the new host.

If true, it seems to defeat the purpose of transferring. Are they correct or can I still use x@yy.co.uk from one host on Nethosted?

Thanks

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:46 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi,

You can certainly use any existing email addresses with us, this person appears to be misinformed. You simply create the email address in the Email Accounts section of cPanel the same as you would any new email address.

Regards,

Darryl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:54 pm 
NetHosted Customer

Thank you, that is what I would have expected and need.
His experience surprised me but I wanted to make sure.

Thank you

Andy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:57 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Andy,

No worries!

Regards,

Darryl

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:18 am 
Community Liason

An alternative you might want to consider is to continue using Gmail but have all your emails sent and received via Nethosted under your domain name.

This is how my email is setup and it works very well. All emails are sent to nethosted and then picked up by gmail with sent emails going out from gmail via nethosted as well.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]