These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: VPS or DS hosting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:13 pm 
Hi,

I had an interesting but somewhat incoherent ticket conversation yesterday with support, so thought I'd have one more go here before giving up on this with Nethosted.

This is not intended as a criticism, we have received excellent service from Nethosted for quite a few years. I appreciate the questions are fairly technical and maybe we have to move elsewhere to host the kind of thing we need, but we have liked Nethosted and will be reluctant to leave, if we don't need too.

Trying to get this into as simple terms as I can, we are developing software applications for some fairly large companies for their internal use. Although we have a basic reseller account with Nethosted, this isn't capable of supporting the apps we have been developing. We only use the reseller account for basic website and email etc.

We want/need to provide hosting solutions for our clients, we therefore use a number of VPS elsewhere (Digital Ocean and Fortrabbit), which we can configure ourselves, as well as running our own small web server, in our offices. These are great for development, but we need to move on to more secure and professional, production level support.

I was looking for a little advice, but the conversation went a bit awry, when I had to start explaining what a LAMP stack was! It isn't helpful when you can't have a quick telephone conversation about this kind of support enquiry with you guys.

So - could Nethosted support a VPS, or more likely a DS configured like this?

Ubuntu 14.04
PHP 5.6
MySQL 5.5
Java 8
with cPanel installed (explain why in a mo)

We need to be able to run; Slim (the PHP framework), Composer (PHP dependency manager) and Elasticsearch on top of the config, together will all their dependencies of course. This is a fairly up to date config, but we use PHP 5.6 functionality.

We are not asking Nethosted to support these apps/delivery environment, just if a Nethosted VPS/DS configured as above (if that is possible) is likely to be okay. We already know a stack like this will run without problems as we have this installed on our server and other VPS.

Okay so why do we want this? Well if we start to fork out £300 plus per month on a DS, does it make sense to run all this on one server. By all I mean the current shared reseller content, our app environments and the associated development stuff (the GIT repositories etc). That's the reason for wanting cPanel, rather than just a VPS/DS and ssh'ing into all the time. cPanel would give us a complete environment (email, domain management etc, with a fairly low maintenance requirement on our part).

The logic behind the question is simplicity. It is obviously more straight forwards to have everything in one place, rather than spread across a number of VPS in different companies.

So could one DS even if a high spec is needed, with cpanel installed manage and support all this?

If we can't get it all on one DS, does it make sense to split this across of couple of VPS with Nethosted, albeit we would then need to use centOS rather than Ubuntu.

We are looking for a bit of SysOp advice here, on the best way to approach this? i.e. integrate a development and production environment on a single server.

I appreciate we are probably asking a bit more than the average Nethosted user. We have been looking at Tsohost by way of an example, as I'm not sure Nethosted are really into this level of support. But as I said we have been very happy with Nethosted and are reluctant to move elsewhere if you guys can provide this kind of stuff? We quite like you.

I hope that makes it a bit simpler than the conversation yesterday?

Regards

W

Post subject: Re: VPS or DS hosting
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:22 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Wayne,

This is much clearer yesterday, apologies for being unclear there.

My person recommendation for this would to be either running a VPS provided by us fully managed running cPanel/WHM for your websites, emails etc. Then either a VPS or Dedicated server (dependant on what you require based on specs etc) running your preferred OS (Ubuntu) then you would be able to install all the System software you require (Apache/PHP, MySQL, Java etc).

This way you can guarantee that any other software you install will not affect cPanel install as this would be on a separate VPS compared to your clients applications that you are developing. Another good thing about this, is that if anything went wrong and one of them goes down then the other is still running, be it the client apps or website/emails etc.

This then narrows down your setup to two VPS or a VPS and a dedicated server which would be much simpler for you to manage as you'd have our assistance as usual ensuring all your email and websites are running without issue. While having hardware support for any dedicated server you have with us. The added benefit would be it all being rented under the same roof.

If you are set in stone with running the setup as mentioned above, Ubuntu + cPanel etc then I'm sure we can work something out but personally I would advise the above for compatibility sake.

I hope I've made everything clear, please let me know if you have anymore questions.

Regards,

Jack

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:40 pm 
Okay Thanks Jack,

That makes a bit more sense than the conversation yesterday. I'm not overly concerned about running one VPS with cPanel on centOs for the basic stuff. We would rarely need to start ssh'ing into it, to run Wordpress and mail etc. It is a bit more of an issue for dev work.

For the dev app environment I would prefer to be using Ubuntu as we know it much better than centOS the old debate about Debian based distros and RHEL. And we already know it works for us on a isolated VPS environment. The questions we really about bringing it all together somehow.

I guess we could bring up a VPS with cPanel and test all this out ourselves, I was trying to avoid the effort of approaching it like that, but it maybe the only way.

I'll have a chat with a couple of other people next week and try and get a more general view, but thanks for the response anyway.

Regards

Wayne

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:52 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Wayne,

Alternatively you could just keep running your websites/email under your reseller account with us and have either a VPS/Dedicated Server running Ubuntu for your client applications if that would be simpler for yourself.

Regards,

Jack

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]