These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Captcha
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 pm 
NetHosted Customer

I'm thinking of using Captcha on my Wordpress blog, to hopefully cut down on the number of spam comments I get. I don't get a massive amount but they do annoy me.....

The question is, how easy is it to install and setup. Is there an 'auto install' option for the technically lacking like myself?

Answers on a postcard please,

Ian

Post subject: Re: Captcha
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:36 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Ian,

If it's for comments and you don't already have it enabled, Akismet is a great option and is included by default with WordPress installations. It will require a little bit of setting up but due to the fact that all of the spammers are reported and blocked against every single Akismet user, it's an extremely effective way of fighting it! There are also a number of WordPress plugins out there that can do similar jobs depending on what you need, http://wordpress.org/plugins/bwp-recaptcha/ being one of them.

I hope this helps!

Bret

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

Post subject: Re: Captcha
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 pm 
NetHosted Customer

Cheers Bret,

I do have Akismet enabled but I still have to delete the spam comments. I have the blog set that I have to approve comments anyway, it just annoys the hell out of me delete spam bot comments. So I would prefer to not have to delete them where possible and I was thinking could they be blocked before the even get sent. I know that if its a human, they would defeat Captcha etc but if I could reduce the bot spammers it would ease my annoyance....

Ian

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]