These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Several Questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:16 pm 
Hi,

A couple of questions before I sign up/

1) Do parked domains appear to the outside world to be mirrors of the main domain or redirects to the main domain? If the former, is this likely to negatively affect my search engine ranking?

2) If I sign up for the basic plan and buy a new domain alongside this, and then I upgrade to the plus plan, does the free domain mean I get a refund on the original domain purchase, or that I get a new free domain name?

3) I have three separate domains hosted elsewhere, with about nine months to go on both my existing hosting contract and my domain subscriptions. I'd quite like to get a new domain name here, try out some things that I can't currently do on my old host's server (it has very old versions of both PHP and MySQL), and then host a portion of my biggest site here at a new domain (the .net of the domain it currently runs under), and then at some point before the contract runs out transfer everything here. Given that I don't want to waste too much of the money I've already spent, what do you recommend as the best method of transferring everything?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:07 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in NetHosted!

1) They mirror. I honestly couldn't comment on search engine rankings due to this.

2) The free domain offer only applies to the domain name used when signing up. You would need to order the Plus Plan (or above) on an annual contract to receive this offer.

3) Does your existing host use cPanel? If that is the case the transfer should be very easy you would simply need to provide us with full backups of your site as generated by cPanel and we will be able to restore these for you.

Thanks,

Andrew

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:44 pm 
Thanks for your answers.

On point 2, does that mean that I get the free domain if I upgrade from basic on the annual contract?

On point 3, unfortunately my current host doesn't use cPanel. But as most of my sites' pages are flat files, I guess transferring should be a matter of uploading them to the new server. The MySQL portions of the site might be more problematic, though.

The intent of my question was more along the lines of the best package deals for the transfer. As I've still got a lot of time left on my contract with my current provider, I'm reluctant to transfer everything across immediately, simply because I'd feel like I'm throwing away the money I've already spent. Would you recommend starting out with the basic package for the one site, and then upgrading to plus later on when my existing contract is closer to running out? Would there be any potential problems with this approach?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:03 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi,

If you are buying the Plus Plan on an annual contract (even via an upgrade) you will qualify for the free domain name.

MySQL shouldn't be too hard. I'm sure your host will be able to provide you with backups of your databases. You can restore these via our cPanel interface or we can do it if it's a trickier restore.

I understand your concerns, we're very flexible so you can start with our Basic plan and upgrade at any time to our Plus plan. I can foresee no potential problems.

Thanks,

Andrew

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]