These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: ManageWP
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:32 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:00 am 
NetHosted Staff

| Follow us on Twitter:
| Members, tell us what of NetHosted!

Post subject: C Panel Transfer etc.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Thanks Bret - that's great. Just a few more.....

1. If I want to use an existing domain to set up the account, can I still get a free one later?

2. I am on cpanel - can you move the whole shebang across and if so, what would the expected timescale be and what would I need to do?

3. My main .co.uk site is currently an old html site (serif) and I have been building a new WP site on a different .com domain (sub domain) - all on the same webhosting account. I want to replace the html site with the WP site (keeping the .co.uk) and can do this using WP clone (I think!). Would it be best to do this before moving cpanel files to you OR wait till the existing setup is in situ with you and then do it?

4. I have several domains that I use for email addresses. Can I point them to an account I set up with you to use mail forwarding/your imap email.

Your help is much appreciated

Sandra

[/u]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:28 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Sandra,

No problem!

1) If you drop us an e-mail within the first 2 weeks, we would honour the free domain name for you.

2) If you're able to provide us with the full cPanel backup file then we can restore this for you so your account will exactly as it was on your old host

3) This would be completely up to you, however if you're working on a new site, it may be better to do this on the new server to prevent any potential issues between 2 server configurations.

4) You could set these up as Parked Domains within your cPanel and with our Power Plan (http://www.nethosted.co.uk/uk-web-hosting.php) you'd be able to host 5 Parked Domains.

If you have any further questions, do get in touch!

Regards,
Bret

| Follow us on Twitter:

Post subject: C Panel Back up?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:36 pm 
Thank you Bret,

1. How do I get a full cpanel back up file?

2. If I leave my domains as is for the moment, presumably I will need to point them to your nameservers. Would this be before or after the cpanel restore on to your servers?

3. How long would the transfer typically take - from getting the cpanel backup to having it all back online?

Thanks again!

Sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:38 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Sandra,

You would need to either generate this via your cPanel with your current host, or have them generate one for you and provide you with it. You'll then need to download this, ready to upload to our servers once your account is active. Alternatively you can put this in a web facing directory on your current host and we can download this ourselves.

You'd ideally want to do the nameserver change after the restore on our servers as this is when the site will actually be available. If you were to change them beforehand, your visitors wouldn't be able to see your site.

A restore can take anywhere from 5-45 minutes depending on the size, however it can generally be completed within 30 minutes in most cases, from there it's simply waiting for the nameservers to update.

Regards,
Bret

| Follow us on Twitter:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:18 pm 
Thanks Bret,

So I have looked for info on making a complete backup of cpanel and can't find anything approaching a Dummies Guide !

Do you have a step by step pdf guide?

If not (or even if you do) would you be able to do this for me if I supply the cpanel login info for my old server?

I'd like to make a start on this during the weekend but need to be sure I don't mess up.

Support from my old hosting company is dead slow at best so I dread the thought of asking them to do anything.

Thanks again,

Sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:25 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Sandra,

You should be able to make this backup by logging into cPanel and going to the Backups section. At the top of the page will be a "Generate a full site backup" option. This will generate a full backup and place it in your home directory (providing you have sufficient disk space on your account). As long as we can get access to this backup file either via you uploading it to your new account with us, or via making it available to download via your current host, we will be able to restore it.

Hope this helps,
Bret

| Follow us on Twitter:

Post subject: Can't find Cpanel backup
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:53 pm 
Hi Bret,
I can't see a Backup section in my cPanel.

The sections that I have are:-
Preferences
SEO & Marketing Tools
Files
Logs
Security
Domains
Databases
Web Applications
Software/Services
Advanced

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:39 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Sandra,

I see, I'm going to assume here then that you're not using cPanel as previously thought (apologies, confusion between our control panel being called cPanel and many people abbreviating control panel just to cpanel!).

If your current host don't make use of cPanel, then you'll need to obtain backups of both your databases and all of your files. You may need to contact your current provider for these if you're not quite sure. Once you have these, you'll be able to upload them to your account with us and restore them very easily via phpMyAdmin.

Regards,
Bret

| Follow us on Twitter:

Post subject: moving over
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:44 pm 
Right!

I have contacted my current provider and through the wonders of LiveChat, they have done a copy for me. cpmove-xxxxx.tar.gz
Strangely, this is the best service I've ever had from them.

Will that be all you need to move my hosting to your server - once I've paid of course? I can put it in my dropbox and give you the link. It's just under 800mb

Awaiting your response,
Sandra

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:50 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi Sandra,

Yes the cpmove file should be all we need, you can just upload this to the account and we will restore it for you.

Regards,

Darryl

Post subject: upload?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:03 pm 
Thank you Darryl.

Will it be obvious where to upload it or can you please provide details?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:05 pm 
NetHosted Staff

When you sign up FTP details will be provided in the welcome email, you can just place it in the top level folder when you log in via FTP and let us know once this is done. At that point it may be better to open a support ticket than post on the public forum if there is any account specific information involved.

Regards,

Darryl

Post subject: Signed Up
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:41 pm 
Thanks for all your patience and help.

I have opted for the 24 month premier plan and would like to thank Tim Elliot of TimeWeb.co.uk for his recommendation on Tom Ewers "Leaving Work Behind" blog.

Just awaiting my Welcome email so I can get everything sorted and transferred.

Sandra

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next