These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Testing for blocked ips
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:23 pm 
NetHosted Customer

Since the recent problem with a customer's IP address being blocked due to their failed ftp connections, that customer is now blaming any failure to connect to a similar problem. Right now she has a problem with a different connection that they use, I have requested the IP that they are using.

In the meantime, is there a simple test that we can use to find out whether a connection is security blocked for any reason? I can't simply try to send mail on a test account since my separate IP is clearly ok.

I guess I'm looking for a reassuring touchstone test, one that a customer can quickly do before contacting me. Any suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:33 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi,

One way the customer can check is simply to try pinging a different server. If they cant ping their site you can just ask them to see if they can ping a different one of our servers. If they can't ping their site server but they can ping another of our servers then it's pretty likely they are blocked by the firewall of their server.

Here are a couple of ips:

pluto.nethosted.co.uk - 92.48.84.98
mars.nethosted.co.uk - 217.112.86.66

Regards,

Darryl

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]