These forums are now archived.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:49 pm 
NetHosted Customer

Now that various servers are to be changed to mailscanner, I thought it might be time to ask how the various anti-spam features work with each other.

Under default addresses there is an option to discard and send error message to sender. This doesn't seem to work at the moment - I still get email addressed to spurious users at my domain.

On ASSP there is a No local addresses filter. I have this enabled, but it has never logged anything. Could this be related to the above?

Greylisting worked and dropped a lot of spam - will there be anything to replace this functionality?

Will there be whitelisting and blacklisting addresses in mailscanner?

Some guidance before 22nd July live date would be helpful, particularly as I doubt that there will be any way to test before the switchover.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:58 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi,

The 3rd party anti-spam solutions we use act as frontline defence so act before cPanel features to filter out spam, this means that the "No local address filter" setting overrides the default address setting so this will block mail before it reaches the cPanel setting if it is enabled, if it is disabled then the mail would pass through and be handled by the cPanel setting.

Greylisting is not supported by Mailscanner at present and will not be available.

There are simple to use whitelist/blacklists available via the Mailscanner interface in cPanel.

As mentioned in the email we have been using Mailscanner successfully for years now and have been happy with the filtering it is providing, it allows better individual customisation with users being able to set their own scoring limits and is simpler to use than ASSP.

Regards,

Darryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:12 pm 
NetHosted Customer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:17 pm 
NetHosted Staff

Hi,

Can you please submit a ticket with details so I can take a look at the account with the no local address issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by how much filtering is available at domain level rather than user level, can you elaborate on this point?

Regards,

Darryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:38 pm 
NetHosted Customer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:41 pm 
NetHosted Staff

I am looking into the ticket now.

Spam rules have always been able to be applied both per domain and per account using the cPanel Account Level Filtering and User Level Filtering options. For the additional Mailscanner features such as spam scoring these limits can be set on a per domain basis.

Regards,

Darryl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:05 pm 
NetHosted Customer

Thanks for that Darryl.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:09 pm 
NetHosted Staff

David,

No worries!

Regards,

Darryl

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]